Our Safeguarding Leads
Prevent is one part of the government’s overall counter-terrorism strategy, CONTEST. The aim of Prevent is to:
- tackle the causes of radicalisation
- respond to the challenges that terrorist ideology may present
- safeguard and support those most at risk of radicalisation through early intervention
- support those who have already engaged in terrorism to disengage and rehabilitate
All staff in school are trained in Prevent. The training covered these topics:
- the Prevent duty
- different forms of extremism and terrorism
- the risk around radicalisation and your supportive role
- making a Prevent referral that is both informed and made with good intention
- the interventions and support available
Our Lady of Lourdes is fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all its children. As a school we recognise that safeguarding against radicalisation is no different from safeguarding against any other vulnerability. At Our Lady of Lourdes all staff are expected to uphold and promote the fundamental principles of British values, including democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect, and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
- Children are encouraged to adopt and abide by our Mission Statement
- Children are helped to understand the importance of democracy and freedom of speech, through the the school council, PSHE, RE and the wider curriculum.
- Children are taught how to keep themselves safe, in school and when using the internet.
- Children participate in local community events so that they appreciate and value their neighbours and friends who may not share their faith background.
- Children’s wellbeing, confidence and resilience is promoted through our planned curriculum and extra curricular learning opportunities.
- Children are supported in making good choices from a very young age, so they understand the impact and consequences of their actions on others.